Thursday, February 5, 2009

I saw lion-dog today!

Thurs 5 Feb 2009

Power outages seem to be a common thing in Viterbo. The universitá is running on it's second outage (that I know of) in the less than a month I've had of classes here, which means, among other things, no internet. Apparantly it's on the blink at Ipercoop next door too, which probably isn't great for the dairy and meat section. At least they don't refrigerate eggs here. So I figured I'd take this time to write up some random thoughts/facts I've had about Viterbo and Italia since I've been here.

-I somehow missed the fact that it's the rainy season this time of year. Nearly every day is cloudy, if not drizzling or pouring. On one of the few sunny days we had last week, though, I noticed it's actually really pretty here when it's not full of precipitation. We're surrounded by mountains that I fully intend on hiking when it gets warmer and the sunsets are surprisingly colorful.

-The centro of Viterbo is surrounded by walls built millions of years ago. Okay, not millions, but I'm not sure how long ago they were built and I know they're really, really old. Even after only being here about a week, I realized I had already programmed myself to feel safe inside the walls and nervous outside. I totally get why mediaeval people did it–it lulls you into a false sense of security that makes you feel much better, even if it doesn't actually mean anything.

-I saw lion-dog today! This probably needs an explanation. On our second full day in Viterbo, we had our first day of orientation. We were all to meet at the Wing fountain so they could walk us up to the SMG campus. While we were waiting for everyone to arrive, the most fluffly, orange dog I've ever seen wanders over to our group. No person seemed to be attached to him, but he was friendly and definitely did not appear to be going hungry. I petted him for a while, looking around for an owner, but no one seemed to appear. Eventually we had to leave and he wandered off. But today, looking out my window to watch the San Faustino market as I do every day, I saw lion-dog. He was on a leash attached to an old man in a long dark blue wool coat and an old-man cap. I nearly ran downstairs to go greet him, I was so excited to see him again. I'm not sure why. But the really lenient leash laws they have here suddenly were demonstrated to me.

-I really lucked out with the location of my apartment. I'm about halfway between the two universitá campuses; a bit less than 20 minutes from SMG and a bit more than 25 minutes from BC. But the best part is the San Faustino market. Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00-13:00, fresh fruit, veggies, and often smelly fish and dead animals are sold in the piazza right outside my building. Every morning, I debate whether to go buy more fruit. Every morning, I know what kind of jacket to wear based on the lightest jacket I see among the people below (everyone wears winter coats here, even when it's in the 50sF outside. I'm still not sure why). Two mornings ago, I bought three apples and two huge tomatoes for less than two euro. I've been eating the apples one per day, but I'm not sure about that doctor away thing. I've been starting to get a sore throat. Still, the fruit and veggies there are so incredibly fresh and delicious. It's fantastic.

-I have too many plans for places to visit, and, I fear, not enough time. Hot springs are this weekend; Venice for Carnivale is next weeked; I want one of the weekends after to be the Alps so I can finally complete that life goal; Barcelona hopefully another weekend; Budapest hopefully another; Paris, London and Amsterdam hopefully over spring break; plus the southern Italia tour through USAC and other weekends filled with day trips. I'm already about a quarter of the way through this trip. It seems impossible, agonizing and thrilling all at the same time. I feel insatiable for travel.

The lights came back on, but I'm still waiting on that Internet. Come on, Viterbo, don't you know I need to check my housing status for Commons?

No comments:

Post a Comment