Wednesday, January 14, 2009

the US does not know the MEANING of "thin crust"

Tues Jan 13 2009

*********Monday********
Real orientation: day 1. It's kind of like at Maryland. I don't think I'll be able to ever find my way back to the campus at SMG or through it, but I'm more realistically hoping I'll find my way around in a few weeks.

Coffee vending machines are everywhere, and have fantastic coffee and cappuccinos. You get a plastic brown bathroom cup, and about a third of it is filled if you get coffee. Most of the cup is filled for cappuccino and hot chocolate, and they all come with a mini clear plastic stirrer.

Amy and Beth were tired by the end of the day and stayed at the apartment, but Jenny and I felt like going out for dinner. We went to ask the guys and girls upstairs if they wanted to join us, and with perfect timing they had just been about to leave to meet some others. A group of about 15 of us went to corso italiano (main street) and took up half of a restaurant for dinner.

A note about pizza here: Think of a regular-sized dinner plate you would use at home. Now, extend the radius by about an inch. Now picture a pizza. Make that pizza have about a two-inch radius larger than the plate. Make the crust literally as thin as two pieces of printer paper. Put a thin but fair amount of cheese and sauce on top, and remove just about all of that grease that seeps off when you fold it. That, my friends, is pizza at a restaurant in Viterbo. Oh yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment